You might have seen the Mel Gibson movie “Braveheart” and been inspired to take a visit to the Scottish Highlands. Or perhaps the Disney movie “Brave” with Princess Merida showing her spunk.
But even in real-life, a Scotland vacation package has a mystical quality with picturesque landscapes behind every highland turn. So today, we’ll give you five reasons you should visit Scotland.
1) The castles! While estimates vary – generally, people believe there are between 1,000 and 4,000 castles across Scotland. Some are well-preserved. Others lay in ruins. But each one has a story and some are very colorful. You can even see the King’s official residence at the Palace of Holyroodhouse if you find a travel deal to Edinburgh.
2) Look for Nessie! That’s right – the Loch Ness monster is a tourist draw, whether you believe the legend or not. (Loch is the Scottish word for “lake”).
3) Climb Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in Scotland, but don’t forget your camera. The unforgettable views of the twists and turns of Scottish landscape will leave a lasting impression on your soul.
4) Take a rail tour. Feel your blood pressure drop as you slow down the pace of life on a train journey through the northern lands of the United Kingdom.
5) Enjoy Scottish culture! Hear the heart pumping excitement of a bagpipe and drum ensemble. Have an afternoon tea while visiting Glasgow, Scotland. Try haggis – even if you don’t like it. Go for a hike. Test out your accent. Wear a kilt. You only live once!
Regardless of what you do – one thing is sure. A visit to Scotland will be a trip you won’t regret (or forget!).